Concept, types of etiquette and their characteristics
Everyone knows that in society there are certain rules that are not accepted to be broken. This may be a form of clothing, style of conversation, rules of conduct. Many unconsciously adhere to the rules of etiquette. What is etiquette, and what are its varieties?
The word "etiquette" came from French and means a set of rules that governs the behavior and appearance of a person in a given society. These tacit rules are usually observed not only in society, but also in everyday life.
Etiquette combines the following rules:
- speech form;
- a certain degree of politeness.
Observance of elementary rules allows strangers to find a common language. What types of etiquette are there? Consider in more detail each of them.
This type of etiquette combines the requirements for human speech in certain situations. He clearly regulates the degree of politeness of a person, as well as gestures, the admissibility of certain statements.
Speech etiquette has the following features:
- stable phrases and expressions that are inherent in one or another topic of conversation;
- competent speech, free from obscene language;
- polite intonation of conversation;
- correct pronunciation of words, for example "hello" instead of "hello";
- a ban on interrupting the interlocutor and interfering in someone else's dialogue.
In addition, in the form of speech etiquette, it is important to clearly convey the idea to the interlocutor. Depending on the situation, you need to be able to summarize the information and fill it with details.
This type of etiquette clearly regulates human behavior in the work environment. In addition, it is divided into several categories:
- the relationship of the chief-subordinate;
- relations between colleagues of the same level;
- relationships with business partners.
The business type of etiquette is based on mutual politeness, goodwill, attention.
When entering into an already established team, one should pay attention to the already formed habits of communication. On the basis of these observations, the rules of business etiquette are built. For example, an appeal between colleagues may be on “you,” which indicates a relaxed atmosphere, or on “you,” which indicates mutual respect.In addition, there are stereotypes of appeal to people - "ladies", "gentlemen", "colleagues".
In business negotiations with a representative of another culture, it is important to familiarize yourself with the rules of etiquette of the opponent’s country. Thus, interest is expressed not only in the culture of the country, but also in continuing business relations with a person.
Not only behavior is important in business etiquette, but also appearance. Not for nothing in many companies adopted a strict dress code. However, even if there is none, it is not accepted to come to work in shorts, overly short skirts, and T-shirts with bare shoulders.
Rules of conduct at the table vary depending on the level of relations between the company of people, as well as the level of the event. This type of etiquette provides the following rules:
- It is customary to sit down at the table only after the invitation of the house owners Men sit down after women.
- It is important to be able to use all the types of cutlery offered and to be able to distinguish them.
- At the table it is not customary to talk with food in the mouth.
- When serving meals on a common dish, you need to use appliances that are in the plate with food.
- It is not accepted to criticize the taste of the dishes served, to comment negatively on their appearance.
The conversation at the table should be relaxed, so avoid those that can embroil diners or cause heated debate. In addition, it is important to pay sufficient attention to all those present and not to turn their own speech into a monologue. It is important to be able to carefully listen to the interlocutor.
Despite the fact that certain standards of decency should be observed daily, there is a festive look of etiquette, the rules of which are also important. This kind of norms regulates behavior in society at important events, as well as when visiting the theater, during the reception of guests.
There is a set of rules that are recommended to follow:
- Clothing must fit the occasion. For example, it is inappropriate to wear a formal evening dress for a modest family celebration.
- To strangers, it is customary to refer to "you", while the first to afford the transition to "you" can be a woman.
- In public places, such as theater, philharmonic society is not accepted to eat and talk during the performance.
- When participating in a festive dinner, it is important to thank the hosts of the evening for the delicious food and good company.
- If it is necessary to leave the holiday earlier, it is important to warn about this in advance, otherwise there is a risk of passing for an uncultured person.
- The host of the evening or the hero of the occasion is unacceptable to insist that guests quickly empty their glasses and plates.
- The rules of good form suggest that the owners should mitigate conflict situations that may arise in the process of the celebration.
In addition, it is very important not to be late, this rule applies to any special events, friendly and business meetings.
The vast majority of people are religious to one degree or another. Most often this is a visit to the temple on significant holidays. Since Orthodox Christianity is most common in Russia, attendance at the church is also governed by certain rules:
- At the service it is important to behave quietly, it is forbidden to talk.
- A woman can not be in the temple with his head uncovered, the man, on the contrary, removes the headdress. It is also forbidden for a woman to be in a skirt above the knees or pants. Bright clothes out of place.
- Before entering and leaving the temple it is customary to be baptized three times.
- In a conversation with the clergy, it is important to mention the rank or name, for example, "Father Vladimir", "Father Deacon", "Father Superior."
- When performing church ceremonies, it is important to do everything the priest says.
- Prayers are said quietly, looking at the image.
In most cases, it is enough for not too religious people to behave modestly and politely, both in communication with the clergy and with the parishioners. If necessary, to carry out any religious sacrament (baptism, wedding), you must first consult with the priest to observe all traditions.
Kinds of modern etiquette are impossible without everyday, since it is this code of unspoken rules that is observed in our life, in communication with friends and strangers, in public places. A few common rules that are followed by most people:
- When visiting a restaurant invoice pays the bill.
- It is not fitting for a man to carry a female bag.
- In public transport it is customary to give places to pregnant women, the elderly, people with disabilities, and small children.
- Do not talk too loud on the street.
- At the entrance to the room you need to remove the headpiece.
- Bad tone is considered to come to visit without a prior call.
The everyday type of etiquette of behavior implies polite treatment of both familiar and unfamiliar people. Proper treatment is aimed at achieving mutual understanding between people. At the same time, there are three types of communication - formal, informal, impersonal. The latter version is used in everyday addressing to unknown people, for example, "let me pass" or "sorry, do not tell me how to get through."
The main types of etiquette include professional, it is a set of rules and regulations that are usually followed in professional activities. Some activities require careful compliance with these rules, as society places high demands on them. These professions include teachers, doctors, educators, attendants.
People of these professions should be restrained in emotions, friendly, polite, patient, in addition, they must have a culture of speech and have a proper appearance.In addition, this type of etiquette and the concept of etiquette in this field of activity take into account the moral values of society.
A wedding is undoubtedly an exciting moment in the life of every person, regardless of whether it is the newlyweds or the invited party. This type of etiquette, the rules of which are obligatory for observance, is aimed at avoiding embarrassing moments that may arise during the celebration process. Here are some of the most common:
- It is not customary to ask the young about the costs that the organization of the event entailed.
- No matter how much the close people expect the appearance of the first-born of the bride and groom, one should not persistently ask about it, since it is a personal matter of everyone.
- Friends of the groom or bride should not remember at the festive table about the turbulent bachelor life of the young, as it can be unpleasant for people who are present.
- Hints about the upcoming "wedding night" are also inappropriate, especially in public.
- At modern weddings, it is customary to give money, but it is not necessary to boast about the amount in the envelope.
- No need to be late and make the newlyweds and other guests wait.
It should be remembered that this is a bright and memorable day for a young family, so the behavior should not be defiant. It is also recommended not to drink too much alcohol.
Rules of conduct among the military are clearly regulated from the etiquette of appearance to the norms of communication. Military etiquette is based on army morality and values. In communication, a lot of formal appeals are used depending on the official position of the serviceman. Politeness and brevity of the story are welcome.
The appearance of a soldier in the service is clearly prescribed by the charter. This applies not only to uniforms, but also uniforms. A commander of any rank should be an example for his subordinates; therefore, one should especially carefully monitor the purity of speech, behavior and appearance.
Today, in some countries there is still a monarchical form of government. In this case, all members of the royal family, as well as invited guests must comply with the rules of court etiquette. It is one of the most stringent, so it is important to follow all, even the most insignificant rules:
- You can not touch the members of the royal family, only if the royal person first extended a hand to greet.
- Etiquette does not allow titled persons to appear in society in an unsightly form.
- The manner of conversation should be emphatically polite and respectful.
- Modesty is welcome in both clothing and behavior patterns.
Court etiquette exists from the time when monarchical power appeared. At the same time, over time, it is transformed, the old rules become irrelevant, and new norms appear instead.
Etiquette of telephone conversation
To date, about 50% of important business conversations are made by phone. Due to this, the etiquette of telephone conversation appeared, which consists of the following points:
- It is desirable to pick up the phone before the fourth call - so you can show a person how important it is.
- You can not simultaneously talk and solve extraneous problems.
- If the wrong number, you just need to apologize and hang up.
- In a telephone conversation you should also be courteous and polite with the interlocutor.
- The initiative to end a telephone conversation belongs to the caller or the oldest.
- At the end of the conversation, it is customary to say goodbye to the other person.
It is very important to use the silent mode of a mobile phone, being in a cinema, theater and other similar public places.
This kind of rules of decency recently entered into everyday life. However, when composing and sending an e-mail, you should politely contact the addressee and briefly and clearly state the essence of the message.
All types of etiquette and their characteristics are aimed at ensuring that the interlocutors can understand each other, as well as to reduce the risk of a conflict situation. It is important to understand what kind of society you are in in order to correctly apply the gained knowledge about the rules of etiquette.