The composition, structure and types of the armed forces of the Russian Federation
Becoming separate and independent after the collapse of the young states began to create their own army. There was no exception and Russia. Today, the Russian armed forces have the world's largest stocks of weapons of mass destruction. In addition to the large nuclear potential, Russia has a well-developed system of means of delivering nuclear weapons. Information on the structure of the armed forces of the Russian Federation is contained in the article.
The date of the formation of the armed forces of the Russian Federation was May 7, 1992. By that time, 2,880,000 troops were represented. The staff number of the issued decrees is established by the President of the Russian Federation. He is the commander in chief of the armed forces of the Russian Federation. In accordance with the latest published decree, which entered into force at the end of March 2017, the number of military personnel was 1,013,000 people.
Functions of the commander in chief
The Russian President forms and heads up the Security Council of the Russian Federation, approves the military doctrine of the state, appoints and dismisses the highest command of the Armed Forces.In addition, the commander-in-chief approves the statutes of the armed forces of the Russian Federation and is responsible for a number of other issues related to the military construction of the country. In peacetime, the leadership of the army is political. During a war, martial law is being introduced by the president to prevent or repel aggression.
About central management bodies
The Ministry of Defense is the governing body of the Russian Armed Forces. Conducts state policy in the defense sphere, in accordance with constitutional federal laws and international treaties signed by Russia, organizes the use of the armed forces of the Russian Federation. At the post of current Minister of Defense - S. K. Shoigu.
The General Staff is the central body in charge of operational control of the Armed Forces: it coordinates the border troops, the FSB, the Foreign Intelligence Service and the rest of the military formations. Since 2012, the General Staff is headed by General of the Army V. Gerasimov.
The troops of the armed forces of the Russian Federation were created to protect national interests in the world and localize the external military threat. Also, the army can be involved in carrying out various activities that are not directly related to it.For example, together with the police forces to oppose organized criminal groups, to participate in peacekeeping missions. In addition, the task of the armed forces of the Russian Federation is to ensure the security of the CIS countries.
About territorial affiliation
Russian Armed Forces distributed by district. There are four of them:
- Central (CVO);
- Western (ZVO);
Depending on the spheres of action, the following types of armed forces of the Russian Federation are distinguished:
- ground troops;
- Navy (Navy);
- VKS (aerospace forces).
Thus, at the legislative level in Russia, the operation of army formations on land, in water and in space is envisaged.
Also, there are two types of troops:
- Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN). They are in constant combat readiness as part of the land strategic nuclear forces (SNF). The task is to prevent a probable nuclear attack. In addition, the Strategic Missile Forces themselves have all the means to destroy the enemy using nuclear weapons.
- Airborne troops (Airborne). They carry out combat raids in the rear of the enemy, neutralize the landing and other enemy army groups.
On the ground forces. Composition and purpose
This type of aircraft is the largest in terms of numbers. Ground forces are carrying out offensive activity, eliminating the enemy and further liberating the captured positions. This type of troops produces artillery and rocket fire against enemy formations deployed at a distance. Equipped with the following types of troops:
- Motorized rifle troops. In terms of numbers, the largest among all other genera. The rapid movement of infantry is carried out thanks to the presence of combat vehicles BTR and infantry fighting vehicles. Motorized rifle troops can additionally be equipped with tank, artillery and other units. In conjunction with the tank hold occupied territory, repel enemy attacks, destroy enemy military formations, and also overcome defended enemy lines.
- Tank troops. They have high maneuverability and maneuverability. They are not affected by the nuclear weapons used by the adversary. If necessary, to perform individual tasks are completed with motorized rifle units.
- Rocket troops and artillery.They inflict nuclear fire strikes on the enemy. In service consists of reactive, howitzer and barrel anti-tank artillery and mortars. Rocket troops suppress militant enemy groups, destroy manpower and specialized equipment used by the enemy for a nuclear attack.
- Air Defense Forces. Control the airspace by identifying attacks with further notification of protected parts.
- Special troops - reconnaissance military units and units. In command of the command staff. Special Forces collect information about weather conditions and movements of the enemy. Using the information received, the army leadership makes decisions and prevents the enemy from breaking through.
- Engineering troops. They are engaged in camouflage and erection of structures for army formations, demining territories, maintain the efficiency of crossings and military roads, and deliver them to advanced clean water.
- RCBZ troops. Under this abbreviation means military formation, the task of which is to provide radiation, chemical and biological protection.The RCBZ servicemen identify the degree of infection and take retaliatory actions in order to minimize its impact in combat conditions.
- Signal Corps. Engaged in the installation of various systems for communication command with parts and divisions.
The place of activity of the Navy is sea and ocean zones. The Russian Navy is represented by the Black Sea, Baltic, Pacific, and Northern Fleets and the Caspian Flotilla. The tasks of the Navy are to destroy enemy boats, surface ships and their groups, to attack enemy ground objects. In addition, the fleet is attracted to escort peaceful ships. The Navy is represented by the following formations:
- Surface forces. Fleet servicemen cover underwater vessels, transport and insure landing forces. Also in the list of their duties includes mining and demining.
- Underwater forces. At the service of this formation are atomic strategic and multipurpose submarines, with the help of which the enemy’s military ground points and various enemy ships are destroyed. In addition, underwater forces performed reconnaissance, installation of mines and landing on the territory of the enemy.
- Naval aviation. This branch of the military is engaged in the reconnaissance, search and liquidation of convoys, ships and important strategic facilities. Also, naval aviation provides air protection.
- Coastal troops. Protect the coastal area.
The aerospace forces of Russia are working in a vacuum. VKS perform the following tasks:
- Carry out space surveillance. In case of detection of a threat from space, the Russian space forces can parry a blow.
- Engaged in launching spacecraft.
- They monitor the satellites, namely, they control and maintain their combat capability.
The Russian standing army was formed during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. Already then the troops had a centralized command and control. From 1862 to 1874, as a result of the reforms introduced, the all-conscription conscription was introduced. The changes also affected the principles of management. Today, the composition of the armed forces of the Russian Federation is a fairly complex structure, which only a specialist can thoroughly understand.