When do birds fly away?
When the cold season begins in Russia, many birds fly to winter for warmer lands. The main reasons for this are that it becomes too cold and there is no food.
In general, the flight of birds occurs during the end of August-mid-November. Each species of birds has its own time for departure to warm regions.
When the birds fly away: the timing of migration
- At the end of August, Russia is already getting colder for cuckoos - they leave our lands first.
- Swifts and swallows - next in line. They usually fly away in the very early days of September.
- In early September, also thrushes, finches,wagtails, starlings. They prefer to survive the winter in Italy, Spain and Portugal. Ducks, cranes and waders, also flying away during this period, live near the Nile; hoopoes, flycatchers, corncrackers and dykes are sent to Africa; snipe prefer the Transcaucasus.
- The middle of September is the time of departure of the quack ducks. They like the south of the Caspian Sea, the Black Sea, the Sea of Azov and the Mediterranean, Transcaucasia, Iran and the British Isles.
- Geese begin to leave their homeland in mid-September, but a massive flight occurs at the end of this month. They like to spend the winter in the Crimea, Sivash and the Caspian.
The flight of birds to warmer lands is a processgradual, deadlines are always determined approximately. Feathered migrate in packs, often roam, as the path is not close and many obstacles need to be overcome. For landmarks birds use large geographical objects: mountains, rivers, coasts of the seas, etc.
Also read Why birds fly away.