Where filmed "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson." Part 2. "Bloody inscription"
© Film Studio "Lenfilm. Vitaly Solomin, Borislav Brondukov and Vasily Livanov on the set of the film" Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: Bloody Inscription "
"Where it was all filmed" - such a question can often be heard from fans of the movie "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson." Several years of persistent research allowed to answer it.
And not only to answer, but also to create an unprecedented detailed illustrated geographical cinema encyclopedia on 221b.ru. There are still white spots in it, but they are becoming less and less due to the research of enthusiasts and the hints of the crew members. Now everyone can take a virtual (and not only virtual) excursion in the footsteps of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.Most of the objects located in St. Petersburg, Latvia, Estonia and Abkhazia were photographed from the same points as in the Film.
In the first part there was a photo tour of the filming locations of the first movie "Acquaintance". Today we will go through the filming locations of the movie "Bloody Inscription"
Abandoned House, Drebber's Murder Place
Leningrad, st. Academician Krylov, 4 (metro station "Black River"), Dacha Princess EP Saltykova.
The cottage complex includes the main house, service buildings and gates. 1837-43, architect P. Sadovnikov. Interiors are made by G. Bosse. Now the object of historical and cultural heritage of federal significance.
Princess Ye.P. Saltykova was the daughter of Countess S.V. Stroganova, whose house was located nearby - for her and her sister, Princess A.G. Golitsyna, two cottages were built on the territory of the former Stroganov Garden. Dacha Saltykova is the only building of the Stroganovs' extensive possession that has come down to us. After 1917, the dacha was occupied by a branch of the hospital, in the 30s it was replaced by a school. After 1935 - again the hospital. In 1946, a dispensary was opened here. In 1979–80 during the construction of the underground "Black River" the building was used as a pro-slave.Then for 11 years it was empty and was plundered. The fires turned it into ruins. In 1991–96 the house and the gates were restored to their original form.
The place is now difficult to find out. The house itself, thanks to the reconstruction, looks like new, its surroundings have changed even more. Right next to the house, in 1982, the Black River metro station opened, a busy highway lay outside the gates, the park around the house was cut down, and the quiet, deserted place became crowded and noisy.
Where Holmes was jumping through a puddle, now thousands of people pass by every day, and car flows rush out of the gate instead of cabs.
To the right of the gate, a pavilion of the metro is being built - a wooden fence with characteristic white diamonds is visible. And right under the gate an underground passage to the other side of Akademik Krylov Street is now dug
The trick is that all the time the gate was shot from the inside, from the side of the house. This is clearly visible in the shadows. It is difficult to say what prevented the removal of the gate from the outside - maybe the wrong background, and maybe the wrong lighting.
Judging by the sun, Holmes and Watson arrived at the place by 16 o'clock.
However, jumping over a seemingly harmless puddle, Holmes (and Watson with him) got into a temporary hole: it was only at eight o'clock that Gregson came out on the porch to meet them. Where they wore all this time is unknown.Moreover, the conversation with Constable Ransome took place at 7 pm — even before Gregson met them. When the inspection took place at home - generally a mystery. Well, at ten o'clock in the evening, at sunset, Watson returned here again to set up an ambush, and went to the house through the left gate.
Stone gates and a metal grille would be an excellent reference point, if not for one important circumstance: there is no doubt that the gates were completely rebuilt, but it is impossible to say exactly how. The stone blocks were repositioned, and the appearance of the stone and the absence of defects and gaps between the blocks suggest that the stone was partially or completely replaced. Whether the new blocks have a different shape and size, or there are now more of them, but the gates and arches are higher. The grille also became higher due to the additional fragment below - now only a very tall person can look at the house on top of it - and the mesh loops are moved closer to the inner side of the gate.
Strictly speaking, one cannot even claim that the gate is in its former place, although a big shift obviously did not happen. If in 1979 the gate could be used for its intended purpose, now they perform a purely decorative function.
The mansion itself is surrounded by another fence protecting it from strangers, so it was only possible to remove this porch thanks to the administration, which provided all possible assistance to the shooting. However, now the passage to the porch is usually open. The staircase has already doubled, and the second half of it leads not up, but down: the basement room right under the porch is rented either for a shop or for a workshop. Signboards change often here.
The room in which Hope dealt with Drebber, oddly enough, was filmed here - this is one of the few real interiors in the film. The fireplace room with four windows is located to the left of the porch, there you can freely enter through the main entrance. Now there is almost nothing like 1979, well, except that the ornament on the doors
Now in this room one store replaces another. As a rule, the whole space is filled with hangers, shelves and other trade attributes. So consider the premises as such can only be in the intervals between the change of tenants, if you are lucky
Neither in the legendary room, nor on the legendary porch, nothing now reminds of the filming of the film.It must be said that tenants occupying premises on the opposite side of the house turned out to be more enterprising and called their jewelry store “Agra's Treasures”. So at least some mention of Holmes is here
Holmes to the rescue of Watson
Latvia, Riga, Herder square
The area designated on the Riga plan as far back as 1650, since 1864, has been named after Johann Gottfried Herder, a German philosopher, enlightener, writer and folklorist.
In 1764, Herder received the position of preacher and head of the Dome School, and from 1767 he served as pastor and was a great success in Riga as an educator and preacher. On the right you can see the corner of the Dome Cathedral, the most significant monument of medieval Latvian architecture.
Hotel where Stangerson was murdered
Latvia, Riga, Jan Set (John Compound)
The gates through which the crew passes are hidden in the deep shadow between St. John’s Church (24 on Skarnu Street) and the building known in Riga as the Ekka Convention (d. 20/22). Skarnyu Street itself is first mentioned in historical documents in 1408 as the street of meat dealers. Through the arch of the gates of the former Dominican monastery, a fragment of the facade of St. Peter’s Church is visible.
The gates lead to the courtyard, called the John's Compound (in Latvian Yana Set). This place is a key point in the history of the city of Riga, a turning point in so many events. Once John's Compound was the territory of the first episcopal castle - the place where the bishop Albert Buksgevden, the founder of the city of Riga, settled in 1201. The film had to cover the signs with the name of the street and house numbers. Now they are not here, as the lantern above the sign
Holmes lectures the inspectors
Latvia, Riga, Herder square
The building on the far right, from which only a corner is visible, is the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation. A large portal far to the right is the entrance to the Dome Cathedral. The cathedral was founded in 1211 by the founder of Riga, Bishop Albert Buksgevden, completed around 1270 by an unknown master from Cologne. From then until the end of the XIX century, the cathedral was constantly rebuilt, incorporating signs of different architectural styles. After restoration (1959-60), the cathedral, with good acoustics and one of the best organs in the former USSR and one of the world's largest organs, was transformed into a concert hall-museum. Now transferred to the property of the Latvian Evangelical Lutheran Church,but during the special hours there are concerts of organ music. By the way, to the left of the cameraman, hidden from our eyes, there is a monument to Gerder. A flashlight at the corner - fake
Hope Carries Drebber's Cab
Latvia, Riga, st. Valdemara (Gorky St.), 10a, City Art Museum
Latvia, Riga, Kalpaka Boulevard (Komunaru), d. 13, Latvian State Academy of Arts
A cab rides from the museum (left)
to the Academy of Arts (right)
Latvia, Riga, st. Maza Skolas (Small School)
On the left, we see the building of the Museum of the History of the City of Riga and Navigation (since 1959), and in fact is still the same building of the Dome Monastery, its southern facade. The street got its name in honor of the Dom school, where clergymen used to be trained, and then, after the Reformation (16th century), the Dome school became the first secular higher educational institution in Riga
Locations in Latvia found and photographed by Renata Rimša